CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 31, 2008

Gentlemen, start your engines!

On Thursday, I introduced Nathan to the great American tradition of the Pinewood Derby. He had some preconceived notions of what it would be like, namely he thought it was a soap box derby. While this would be infinitely more exciting than what actually happens, it was still an enjoyable evening. Nathan started off with his normally incredulous face, but after studying the merits of each car and discussing the mechanics of a winning carved block of wood on wheels he was drawing up plans in his head and designing his perfect garage to take State. He has already decided that two cars will be made for each tournament - one prototype to act as control and the final product. Here's hoping we never have sons!

In the end, it was one of my wolf's that brought the certificate with the 100 Grand candy bar taped to it proclaiming he was the winner. I have had few prouder moments.

3 comments:

Strawberry Shortcake said...

I guess I am with Nathan in not knowing anything about the old Pinewood (and, unless something drastically changes the female children pattern we are on, I will never know). I have to say I am quite impressed with the quality of car. I made a car out of a mousetrap and a couple of coffee cans (or lids, it's been a while) when I was in seventh grade. Yeah, it didn't work. Maybe that is why I got a C in the class. Good luck to Nathan and his future car building endeavors.

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

you totally caused a painful flashback... YEAR 1: Brian and Daddy working on shiny orange car. Result: car shinier than it is fast. Finishes 4th... one out of the medals. Brian cries whole ride home. YEAR 2: 5 minutes before Derby, Brian grabs now dusty orange car off of shelf, confident somehow that it has become faster in the last year of sitting there??? 1 1/2 hours later, cries on ride home when car again finishes out of medals. YEAR 3: Rinse and Repeat. Oh, how I miss those good times.

Anonymous said...

"Come on cubbies" has taken on a whole new meaning for you, hasn't it?

Mom