CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 29, 2008

She works hard for the money...

It has been awhile since I posted because I have been out of town this week. On Thursday I found out that my presence was desired at a business conference/investor schmooz-fest in Palm Springs for a few days and the thought of enjoying some time with family and friends in a lovely hotel was just too good to pass up. So I headed over and enjoyed myself in perfect weather, with wonderful food, great entertainment, and very productive meetings. The first evening was spent with the principles of the company enjoying an evening at a Beni Hana style restaurant. Now, my theme in life is "Dignity, always dignity", but this is difficult for people to believe when they see you (a new acquaintance) catching shrimp in your mouth that is being flung from several paces by the chef wielding a meat cleaver and butcher knife. It just doesn't jive, but it is fun! The next day was spent in meetings and a lovely buffet dinner where the entertainment was provided by Dan Tyminski, the man who was the voice of George Clooney in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and a member of Alison Krauss and Union Station.


To say that I enjoyed him would be a vast understatement. I was grinning in that way that feels like your face could shatter into thousands of little pieces if your skin got stretched any more. He was wonderful and his rendering of "A Man of Constant Sorrow" was amazing. A real treat.

The next day, many of the menfolk went out with Johnny Miller for a round of golf and then clinic. We womenfolk headed off the the outlet mall! Then that evening there was another lovely dinner with Dan Tyminski again and then a comic doing interpretations of popular music. My favorite was the Doobie Brothers where he sang along without knowing any of the words. Fantastic!

Amongst all of this, I completed my MBA on Monday. I can't believe it is done and that I now have a graduate degree. It feels great and a little strange to not have that responsibility any more. I did have a dream the other night that it turned out that I actually had another class to go and I was late in starting. Why does our brain do that to us?

Overall, I had a really great week. While I was gone, Nathan finally found his coveted Wii and has been killing Nazis ever since. I played baseball with him the other night and my arms still have not completely recovered! Who knew you had to work out to play video games?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Bethany on your MBA! What an amazing accomplishment. Leave it to the first borns (aka over achievers) to make us all look like shmucks! But really, that is fantastic!
Also, I am glad you had a wonderful trip. Sounds like a blast!