CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 17, 2007

Words of Wisdom

Yesterday was Stake Conference and it was wonderful. There were so many important messages given and the music was lovely. Our Stake President's talk, though, really touched me. He shared the story of when Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego were thrown into a fiery furnace for refusing to worship the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up. When threatened with this, their reply to the King was "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to a deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. " He then talked about the trials that we have in our lives and how we have expectations that by living our lives a certain way we will be blessed with reprieve. But what happens if we are not? Do we decide that if we do not receive the blessings that God has forgotten us or does not exist at all? Or do we understand that we are loved and watched over especially in our darkest hours? Then he began to list trials that we all pass through and ask if we can answer in the same way as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.

God will bless me with health and strength, but if not...
God will bless me with the means to care for my family, but if not...
God will bless me with a happy marriage and family, but if not...

Then he asked us to insert the trials that we are passing through.

God will bless me with ________________, but if not...

It was not difficult to come up with my own list to think about. There are certain desires that I have for my family and myself, but I must accept the fact that if those desires do not materialize it does not mean that my Heavenly Father does not know my heart or my worthiness. It only means that I have to trust more that He also knows what is best for me and the people I love.

What a great reminder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was actually taken from a general conference talk by Dennis Simmons on 2004. It's one of my favorite talks ever. I just quoted from it in Gospel Doctrine a month or so ago. You should check it out. I sure love you and love your blogs....

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Thank you for putting these beautiful words up on your blog. Sometimes I need to remember the Lord is on my side, no matter what. I honestly wish I could read some of the lessons I am supposed to learn in a book so that it would be much easier, but if we didn't know sorrow, we would never know joy! Thanks again for sharing.