CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 15, 2008

Come listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed...

I have always accepted the fact that I am just a little bit white trash. I mean, I was born in the South, I have lived in a trailer park, and I have a penchant for antlers used in furniture. Okay, the last one isn't exactly true, but if I ever do get into that there is a store at our local mall that specializes in just such pieces.

Mmmm... classy and antlery.

Apparently I am becoming more so. If you look outside our windows you see that the perimeter of our apartment complex is surrounded by a rather formidable gate. Perfect for keeping intruders out and that sense of safety in, right? WRONG!!! You see, the fence has proven to be a barrier to those who want to walk across the street to get to Walgreens and don't want to bother walking the 50 yards to the gate and they just won't stand for this. So it began with two of the bars simply being pried apart, however this only allowed for the most svelte of vandals to get through. It did, though, make some comical moments for me as I watched people whose mass was not as malleable as they thought try to push and pull themselves through. Not to be deterred, eventually one bar was completely removed from the fence. It looked fantastic. One day the management company came out and fixed the fence and straightened the bent bars. The next day was pure joy to me as I watched one after another of my neighbors walk up to the fence, look at it with pure confusion, and then pace back and forth in front of it, literally scratching their heads with befuddlement. Heaven. This weekend, though, when I got home I saw that necessity is truly the mother of invention.

Two bars removed, one bent, and the pièce de résistance - the shopping cart. I see now why our apartments are listed as luxury living!

And now, a phrase I never thought I would hear...

Nathan (watching the floor exercises of the women's gymnastics all-around final last night): I SWEAR THAT IF THEY GIVE SHAWN JOHNSON ANYTHING LESS THAN A 15.4 I AM KICKING SOME BUTT!

Yeah, it got intense.

2 comments:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

When you said you were moving to Co. Springs, I assumed it stood for "Colorado", not "Compton". What do I know?

Anonymous said...

"I use antlers in all of my decorating..."!

The bassetts