CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 19, 2007

You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

I can't help but notice the irony in starting a blog that is intended to be full of good news and then filling it up with sad. Today has easily been one of the worst days of my life. This morning I had to rush to the vet where I found out that my sweet friend Cujo had suffered a heart attack and was not expected to make it. He was in a horrible state and I had to be the one to help him through his last minutes. If there is anything to be grateful from this situation, I am glad that he didn't go alone. I am so thankful that I could be with him and tell him that I love him while he went to sleep. The staff was very kind and let me take him into a private room where I could hold him for about an hour. I know it sounds oversentimental, but Cujo has been around for half of my life and he has been my buddy since the moment I saw him. I have spent the rest of the day in bed crying. I know there are some of you who have been through this, so any advice you might have would be appreciated. In the meantime, thank you Cujo for being the friend to me that you have been for the past 15 years, for your warm cuddles, for your non-judgemental ways. for you friendliness to everyone, and for the way you have made our family laugh over the years. We will miss you so much, shortstack.

7 comments:

The Johnson's said...

I have to say, I felt about 5 years old today when I found out our dog was gone. I cried unabashedly! But he was a good dog, and good friend and he lived a happy life. At least no one in heaven will make him wear tighty-whities! I can just see it now, Grandma saying, "Kojack, is that you?"

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Bethany,

I am so sorry to hear about Cujo. I know what it is like to lose a pet, a friend and a part of your family. It is so difficult, but it is so wonderful to be able to think of the joy a hairy little guy brought you for so long. Just know that he is running free without pain or problems and misses you as much as you miss him. All the best to your family and you! Love you!

Unknown said...

:-( I read this at work and couldn't help but let a tear fall.
I'm sending you a transatlantic hug as big as I possibly can.
We'll all miss Cujo, and I'll always remember him as the little dog that terrified Gabbie so much that Thanksgiving.
xx

Anonymous said...

Babe,

I am so sorry!!!! I can't believe it. I thought Cuj would live forever. I'm so glad you were there for him (yes, you know he scared me, but I also know he was a very lucky, loved dog). So strange as I got an email yesterday from a dear friend who we'd given one of Maddie's puppies to. He was put to sleep yesterday, as well. They must need some really good dogs up there this week. 'Love you and thinking of you, your mom, and D....

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Cujo - Gabbie will be heartbroken when I tell her tomorrow. No other dog ever elicited such fear in a small child (mainly because no other child ever jumped on his bad leg). I know how much you (and nathan?!) will miss him. Love to you all.

Emma

Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I am so sorry to hear that Cujo passed away. I think sometimes people underestimate the agony that comes with the death of a family pet. Cujo was so much more than a "pet" he was truly a friend and a member of your family. Know that he is ever thankful of the love and care you gave to him. He will be watching over you, just as he did in this life.
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this trying time.
Love,
Karine

Layton Clan said...

Girl, I am so sorry. I really have been there before, and it huts just as bad as if you lost a friend. I am so sorry. I remember when my Nelli died, I literally thought life would not go on. She was a silent, and true friend. Non-judgemental, always around, and always willing to snuggle. My heart hurts for you.
I love you much. Stay strong, and go get a puppy for crying out loud.